Book Review: How To Conquer Your Goliaths
by Bo Sanchez
7 Keys to Overcome Every Problem That Prevents You from Reaching Your Dreams
We read and heard the stories in the Bible about David and Goliath, on how David, defeated Goliath, a giant Philistine warrior.
In our life, we also have our own Goliath’s to conquer.
Perhaps, our Goliath is our financial problem.
Perhaps, it’s sickness.
Perhaps, it’s a difficult relationship.
Perhaps, it’s your boss.
Perhaps it’s your personal weakness.
It doesn’t matter. You can overcome your Goliaths. Because the outcome of the battle isn’t determined by the size of your problem, but the size of the Champion that God is forming within you.
Do you want to know how to conquer your Goliaths?
Here are the 7 Keys of a Champion’s Life
1.) Follow Your Dream with Passion
Know What You Want and Pursue it.
If you are bored with life, if you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things – you don’t have enough goals – Lou Holtz
- Find Something You’re Willing to Die For
- Focus on the Dream, not the Giant. When you experience trials, focus on your dreams, not the problems.
- Repeat the Dream to Yourself, Again and Again. Write your dreams, it unlocks the blessings of the universe upon your life, you open yourself to life’s river of abundance. But when you read your dreams everyday, you multiply the power of that river ten-fold.
- Make Your Dream as Graphics as You Can. Your dreams should be specific. Whatever the mind can imagine and believe, it can achieve.
2.) Focus on Your Core Gift
Use Your Strength, Not Your Weakness
Success follows doing what you want to do. There is no other way to be successful.
- Discover Your Core Gift – How to know your core gift? First, check out your trail of blessings, where has God been blessing you in the past? Second, follow your passion, do what you love to do. Third, match your core gift to your market
- Develop Your Core Gift – The best way to develop your core gift is to use it, again and again, and again.The second best way to develop your core gift is to get trained.
- Delegate Your Weakness – Stay in your area of strength. delegate tasks to your team. Apply the Pareto Principle, 80/20 rule. Here’s what it means: 80 percent of results come from only 20 percents of inputs.
3.) Believe in Yourself When Others Don’t
Here’s the Truth: God Believes in You!
Sooner or later, those who win are those who think they can. – Richard Bach
- Build Your Confidence by Starting Small – Start small, before big deals, start with small deals.
- Don’t Listen to Negative People – Instead of listening to negative people, seek advice from People who are already living your dream. Don’t give up your dream amidst rejection
- Go for Your Target Market – Champions don’t try to please everyone. There will always be critics. Champions serve it’s target market.
4.) Build Your Team
Your Real Wealth isn’t Money, But the People in Your Life
- Build a Dream Team -When you build your career or business, you need a team of people who will support you. Specifically, you need, mentors, peers, assistants and customers.
- Long-term Success can only come from Teams – Life is a Team Sport. Build a team. Long-term success can only come from a team. You know the quality of your leadership by the quality of the team around you.
- Recruit People Better than Yourself – Look for people better than you are and invite them to join your team.
- Building a Team is All About Relationships – Real Leaders are relationship experts. Real Leaders love their team members.
5.) Take Action
It’s true: God Helps Those Who Help themselves!
Nothing happens unless something moves. – Albert Einstein
- Have a Bias for Action – Act, Act Again,again and again.
- Take Bold, Massive Action – Do you know what’s common among the heroes of the Bible? They took bold and massive action. Noah built an ark, Abraham migrated his family, Joseph interpreted dreams, Moses freed slaves, Joshua conquered kings, Ruth served Naomi, the list go on and on….
- See Everything as Preparation – Do you feel you’re stuck in a place you don’t want to be? See everything as preparation. Believe that everything that is happening to you today is training you for your great tomorrow.
6.) Fail Forward
There’s Only One Road to Success – And This is it!
The fellow who never makes a mistake takes his orders from one who does.
- Learn to Fail Forward – according to Leadership expert John Maxwell, there’s only one big difference between achievers and non-achievers. It’s not talents, or background, or education. It’s how you respond to failure. If you respond positively to failure, you become an Achiever. If you respond negatively to failure, you become a non-achiever.
- Be Prepared for Failure – Did you notice? when David faced Goliath, he didn’t pick one stone. He picked five stones. Because he expected to fail. Mary Kay Ash, founder of a cosmetic empire said, ” For every failure, there’s an alternative course of action. You just have to find it. When you come to a roadblock, take a detour. “
- Feel the Fear but Fail Anyway – Short-term failure isn’t failure. Short term failure is the only pathway to long-term success. “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”
7.) Shine Your Light
Be Humble by Serving the World
“In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. ” – Jesus Christ
- Heal Your Success Acrophobia – Acrophobia is the fear of heights. People with acrophobia can’t look down when they’re on the top of a building. But more people are afflicted with success acrophobia – the fear of worldly, material, professional success. These people, in a subconscious way, avoid it.
- Redefine Humility – What is Humility? Humility is not shyness; Humility is not being quiet; is not being timid; is not having low self-worth, is not being a wallflower, is not being fearful, is not being coy, is not being tentative, is not being faint-hearted. it is Selfless servanthood.
- Be Confident When You Shine Your Light – At every moment in your life, you are selling yourself. Your success depends on how confident you are in yourself.