The Three (3) Hats of Parenting
- 1st The Controller’s Hat;
- 2nd The Coaching Hat;
- 3rd The Consultant Hat
- First, you’ll lose your child. Your child will rebel. Your relationship will be strained. Both of you will be filled with resentment. And Life will not be happy. The only way to hold on is to let go.
- Second, your child won’t mature. Your child will not learn to fly. One of your most important goals as a parent is to help your child grow two things: wings and roots. If you don’t change your hats from Controller to Coach to Consultant, your helping your child grows only on his roots but not grow on his wings. A child with roots only will always be stuck in life.
- Third, your grandchildren won’t mature either. Chances are high that your children will not be able to help their children develop their wings either. It will be a cycle.
- Fourth, you won’t mature. By changing hats, you force yourself to grow up. When your kids don’t need you as much anymore, let them go. God has many other people He wants you to serve.
I hope that this simple article would help you improve your relationship to your parents and children.